10 Easy Things That’ll Make You Happier
- Exercise more // Exercise has such a profound effect on our happiness and well-being that it’s actually been proven to be an effective strategy for overcoming depression.
- Sleep more // Sleep affects our sensitivity to negative emotions.
- Move closer to work // The fact that we tend to commute twice a day, five days a week, makes it unsurprising that its effect would build up over time and make us less and less happy.
- Spend time with your friends & family // Social time is highly valuable when it comes to improving our happiness, even for introverts.
- Go outside // Making time to go outside on a nice day also delivers a huge advantage.
- Help others // 100 hours per year (or two hours per week) is the optimal time we should dedicate to helping others in order to enrich our lives.
- Practice smiling // Workers who smile as a result of cultivating positive thoughts – such as a tropical vacation or a child’s recital – improve their mood and withdraw less.
- Plan a trip // Planning a vacation or just a break from work can improve our happiness.
- Meditate // Clears your mind and calms you down.
- Practice gratitude // The gratitude-outlook groups exhibited heightened well-being.
(via Cup of Jo)