in an effort to truly recognize the simple pleasures in my life, i have compiled a list of random happenings that made the last seven days a lot brighter. (& trust me, they were all very much appreciated.)
- Four words. “we’re proud of you.” they never get old.
- Girly-ness. i went to an appointment for something really girly this last week. the whole time during the session i kept thinking, “how did i go from being a middle schooler wearing boys clothes to this?”
- Hair cuts. twice a year (three times if i’m lucky) i travel to the southside for a chop of the locks. even if that fresh outta the salon ‘do only lasts a few hours, i never regret the trip.
- Home building. when i signed on the dotted line back in May, i had no idea how quickly this process would go. i have now been driving by my home site every day after work since July 13th. the fact that i met my father & the contractor for a walk-through yesterday is completely mind-boggling & totally, without a doubt, one of the most humbling experiences of my life.
- Out of towners. the nice thing about being from Nebraska is that your Nebraska-born relatives most likely love the huskers, too. last weekend, we had some of those relatives fly in for the Husker/Ohio State game. if there’s ever been a reason to love football more than simply watching the boys battle it out, it’s an awesome excuse to see out-of-towners.
- Panera’s baked potato soup. considering the fact that i spent way too many hours with popsicle fingers this week, i was more than pleased to receive a phone call with a sweet voice on the other line saying, “brooke, i picked you up some soup for dinner.” not only did i appreciate the kind favor, i realized that it is officially soup season which accounts for 80% of my diet during the fall & winter months.