in an effort to truly recognize the simple pleasures in my life, i have compiled a list of random happenings that made the last seven days a lot brighter. (& trust me, they were all very much appreciated.)
- day trips with Mama.we were gone for only 24 hours but in that amount of time we accomplished quite a bit- visiting her beloved Robie House (she teaches the corresponding book Wright 3 in Fifth grade), we did a little bit of shopping, we ate amazing food, amazing sweets, visited one of my favorite little baby girls (Hi, Maggie!), tried to relax, & talked about life & how great it is we can get away, if only for a day, to one of our favorite cities.
- the return of BR. my dad has been traveling all over the world since i was about 4 years old. when i was little, i never understood why he would be gone so often, but i always appreciated the t-shirts he would pick up as souvenirs…oh, & there was that somewhat embarrassing time in my life when i started collecting silver spoons from all the cities he frequented because i wanted to be like my grandma. she had an amazing collection; therefore, i wanted one, too! & so i digress, the point is, now that i’m older, i understand why he has to travel and i look forward to the family dinners after his arrival, when we can sit down & hear all about the sights he saw, the delicacies he devoured, & the number of times he thought about how much we would enjoy being with him to experience it all. i guess they call this whole understanding of your parent’s profession part of growing up…i just appreciate that my travel t-shirts have been upgraded to occasional jewels gifted by Brazilian miners.
- Cooper’s Hawk. i had never been to this winery-hot spot until Tuesday night & i know for a fact, i will be going back. the atmosphere was lovely, the wine was fabulous, & the company was well, always delightful (Hi, Molly!). i mean, any time i can manage to throw a butter dish off the table (plate one way, glob of butter the other) you know it’s gonna be full of memories. then, throw in a waitress who was perky patty, oh man, was it a great night!
- Sunday wine nights. it’s become a sign of summer around our house- when the temperatures peak, when the windows are opened, & when wine is brought up from our make-believe cellar in the basement. last weekend, it was wonderful to start our summer tradition a tad bit early…& might i recommend the Pinot from Chateau Smith..it was amazing. (side note: almost two years ago, we gifted my father with a “wine of the month” membership through a local wine shop. it truly is the gift that keeps giving. every month we look forward to the two hand-selected wines- they don’t disappoint.)
- crazy work weeks. you know those weeks where you wake up tired on monday morning & the next thing you know the work week is over & so much has been accomplished? that was this week. it was exhausting, it required much organized, & it was exhilarating all at the same time. this weekend with no direct plans in place feels very well-deserved.