in an effort to truly recognize the simple pleasures in my life, i have compiled a list of random happenings that made the last seven days a lot brighter. (& trust me, they were all very much appreciated.)
- show choir.my high school experience with show choir was a lot like the modern day Glee & getting to go back to watch a competition last weeked took me to that place full of jazz hand dreams. it was really bizarre to step foot into a hosting school that smelled like Otis Spunkmeyer cookies, sweaty performing students, & cheap aerosol hair spray. i immediately started thinking about how life used to be in high school when my spring-semester weekends were filled with competitions, with boys from competing schools flirting up a storm, & when i really started to find my place amongst creative friends. & don’t get it twisted, that time in my life wasn’t all sequins & perfect harmonies-last saturday, sitting in an auditorium filled with energy-boosted show choir feigns, the angst of being beat for a solo resurfaced, the disappointment of coming in 2nd place came back, & the sadness of losing touch with so many of those show choir friends also returned. i am so thankful to be where i am now, but i realized just how appreciative i am to have had that outlet that allowed the dancing, singing, & flirting without question. oh, if i could go back for a day…
- award shows. i love them. the fashion, the hysteria, the attempts to look fabulous. & even more so, i love the next day when everyone is freely sharing their opinions & mocking celebrities, i find it all so endearing.
- [self-made] family night at Hinkle Fieldhouse. we were fortunate to get tickets to the Butler vs. Wright State game on Tuesday night & as a family, we all went out. it was the first game of the season where we could all go as one unit. we spend a lot of time as a family, but sometimes, nothing can compare to the closeness that cheering, shouting, & arguing with referees at a game can bring!
- employee appreciation day. in all of my odd jobs over the years, i have never been a part of an employee appreciation day. & let me just say, it was amazing! from the handwritten thank-you note from my boss that welcomed me as i entered the office to the catered coffee/smoothie service to lunch catered by qdoba to my two afternoon chair massages, it all made me realize just how fortunate i am to be a part of this amazing company. great culture at a company makes a HUGE difference in the workplace and i am so blessed to be where i am. there’s no doubt about that.
- discovering new gems. this week, it was the discovery of Godiva’s Rewards program & Emily’s discovery of Parchment Post -very simple things that really do bring me so much happiness.
- My Co-Worker, M. on wednesday morning, i walked into work with my favorite pink color plastered on my lips. M looked at me & complimented,“Brooke, that color looks really nice on you!” & just like that, my day was off to a fabulous start. about 10 minutes later, after grabbing a cappucino from the barista, M raised his glass mug, looked in my direction, & said, “Cheers to your pink lipstick!” -my smile could not possibly be ignored in that moment…what a guy!