i was one month away from turning 16 & had been up visiting a friend at Notre Dame when i got home and spotted a Jeep in the driveway. adorned with a big yellow bow the size of Texas, i immediately screamed, jumped out of the car i was in, & ran toward the Grand Cherokee that would become my most reliable relationship for the course of 13+ years.
this 4x4 beauty has taken me on countless trips to the country— 12 hour drives back & forth to undergrad in Nebraska, a trek across the country to California when i decided i should spend a semester out West, a two-year stint in Manhattan (KS), & so many day more miles in between.
for almost half of my life, this ride has been there through so many physical & emotional storms. we’ve made it through new relationships, heart breaks, music-blaring-end-of-the-night karaoke parties of one, friendships, friday night light adventures, errand runs, the hauling of furniture, moving days, & even the everyday schlepping around of goods.
sure, we haven’t always been on the best of terms (read: we’ve paid for this car at least three times over), but there’s no doubt my 2001 SUV, the one that holds 158,000 miles, has safely transported me from point A to point B more times than i ever gave credit.
today, after much thought & consideration, i’m trading her in.
i’m way more emotional about it than i should be.
when’s the last time you spent 13 years with a selfless object?
i’ve created so many memories with so many great people in this hunk of metal, & while i’ve been looking forward to a new change, i’m not sure i’ll ever be prepared to say my last goodbyes.
my little Jeepy, i know you’ll soon be crushed, but you’ll be in my SUV-lovin’ heart for a long while.
daily outfit: the “Baby B’s Baby Shower" edition.
close to thirty ladies came together to celebrate the baby boy who will be lovingly welcomed this July.
it was a beautiful celebration…one where floral pants seemed totally necessary.
in an effort to truly recognize the simple pleasures in my life, i have compiled a list of random happenings that made the last seven days a lot brighter. (& trust me, they were all very much appreciated.)
- Cost Plus World Market. this store has become my go-to for home accessories (accent chairs included). i have discovered some of the most beautiful pillows, decorations, and outdoor flair at their Carmel location. plus, once you become a rewards member, there are plenty of coupons sent your way.
- Lincoln Square Pancake House. after a mid-morning meeting, we headed over to Lincoln Square for brunch, and i have to say, their Meridian St. location makes one of the best omelets in town. an omelet from a pancake house? i failed to mention when you order an omelet, you have a choice of toast or pancakes (!!!). don’t let the facade fool you, step inside and be charmed.
- Mid-day walk breaks. we’re fortunate that our office shares a block with one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the state, and therefore, we share some pretty sweet walking paths around the(ir) complex. as the seasons have finally started to shift, the ladies in our office have been taking advantage of mid-day walking breaks. never have i looked forward to walking three miles more than i have on days when i can get out of the office for a little Vitamin D.
- Nude heels. i can’t wait to bust out these beauties on a regular basis. sure, i suppose you can wear nude heels year round, but i’m more looking forward to the fact that i can stow away my beloved leather boots and start relying more heavily on some feminine heels.
- Taco Bell Breakfast. while i will always be loyal to my one true love, Mackey’s, there’s nothing wrong with expanding the A.M. drive-thru selection. i picked up a variety of waffle tacos, flats, burritos and even their sweet Cinnabon treats, and gotta say, i definitely didn’t hate it. i mean…a waffle…eggs…bacon…and syrup? yes.
- The Naked Monkey. a few years back, a Groupon led me to this cleverly named waxing locale, and even after my deal ran its course, i’ve remained quite loyal to my time with my girl, Mandi. sure waxing, of any kind, isn’t the most popular topic of discussion, but if you’re gonna do it, you might as well frequent a business where you know you’re in good hands. i cannot recommend The Naked Monkey enough. (3 locations around the city)
- Zappos overnight delivery. there are very few times i’d deem it necessary to choose overnight delivery for a clothing item, and that’s why, with Zappos, you don’t have to choose. sometimes, they just do it up for you!
the deck is slowly but surely coming together.
thanks to two strands of outdoor lights & an easy-to-install table & chairs, i am really starting to love my deck.
but let’s be honest, i would’ve loved it even if it meant using folding chairs from my parent’s attic.
with a high of 72 on Thursday, there’s never been a better time to accessorize a neutral foundation.
daily outfit: the “purple poncho” edition.
a few weeks ago, Mama & i stopped at the outlets down in Edinburgh en route to Louisville.
always one willing to add some spring color to an otherwise neutral look, i slipped on this ralph lauren lavender poncho & kind of didn’t hate it.
i sent a text to Ashley who confirmed it would be a good option for a rainy day,
& turns out, rain is indeed in today’s forecast.
never the less, after a month having passed since the original procurement, i still don’t hate it, & in fact, with all black, i kind of love it.